SACRAMENTO – March 7, 2017 – The California Department of Food and Agriculture’s (CDFA) Pest Exclusion Branch is announcing the formation of an Industrial Hemp Advisory Board. This new board has been established under Section 81001 of the California Food and Agricultural Code (FAC).
The board will advise CDFA and make recommendations on matters including, but not limited to, industrial hemp seed law and regulations, enforcement, annual budgets, and the setting of an assessment rate.
The board will be composed of eleven members, as follows:
• Three (3) of the board members shall be those who intend to register as growers of industrial hemp. Each of these members shall be a representative of at least one of the following functions: seed production, seed conditioning, marketing, and/or seed utilization.
• Two (2) board members shall be members of an established agricultural research institution (as defined in FAC § 81000).
• One (1) board member shall be a representative appointed by the California State Sheriff’s Association.
• One (1) board member shall be a county agricultural commissioner.
• One (1) board member shall be a representative of the Hemp Industries Association.
• One (1) board member shall be a representative of industrial hemp product processors or manufacturers.
• One (1) board member shall be a representative of businesses that sell industrial hemp products.
• One (1) board member shall be a member of the public.
The term of office for board members is three years. Members will meet at least once per year, but may meet more frequently if needed. The members receive no compensation, but are entitled to payment of necessary traveling expenses in accordance with the rules of the California Department of Human Resources.
Individuals interested in being considered for this Board appointment should send a letter of interest, indicating which position(s) they are eligible to fill, and brief resumé to Joshua Kress by March 31, 2017 at:
California Department of Food and Agriculture
Pest Exclusion Branch
1220 N Street, Room 344
Sacramento, CA 95814
Attention: Joshua Kress