San Bernardino County seeks an expert in the fields of Agriculture / Weights & Measures.
Examples of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Plans, organizes, and directs the functions of the Agriculture/Weights and Measures Department. Formulates and directs the application of policies and procedures conforming with state and federal laws and regulations.
2. Establishes and implements programs for the inspection, standardization and quarantine of agricultural products; the control and abatement of agricultural pests, noxious weeds and rodents; usage and control of pesticides for environmental protection; inspection and quality control services of food and crop products.
3. Establishes and implements programs for the inspection, testing and proving of all commercial weighing and measuring devices within the County; the testing of meters; the investigation of complaints; the enforcement of the quantity control program.
4. Directs the preparation, justification and administration of the budget; establishes fiscal controls. Negotiates, monitors and executes contracts.
5. Reviews and approves personnel actions. Evaluates subordinate management and supervisory staff.
6. Coordinates activities of the department with state and federal officials, agricultural commissioner/sealers of other counties, and other governmental entities. Attends local and state wide meetings and conferences to exchange information.
7. Makes presentations to the Board of Supervisors, other governmental and community organizations as required.
8. Makes final determination on actions to be taken through the District Attorney's Office to bring legal action against violators of laws enforced by the Department.
9. Directs the preparation of periodic reports to the state on the activities of the department, and compiles and disseminates annual crop reports and other required reports to the Board of Supervisors.
10. Reviews legislation and regulations to determine impact on department operations. Interprets and implements changes.
11. Prepares correspondence and reports.
12. Provides vacation and temporary relief as required.
Supplemental Information Incumbents must possess a valid Agricultural Commissioner and Sealer of Weights and Measures license from the State of California. Appointed by the Deputy Executive Officer-Community Services. Section 12.2204 places the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer in the unclassified service.
Minimum Requirements Experience: Three years of program management experience in a Department of Agriculture.