The duties listed below are illustrative only and are not meant to be an exhaustive listing of all the duties and responsibilities for this position.
- Plans, directs, coordinates, monitors and evaluates countywide agricultural inspection and enforcement programs and staffing in areas such as: Fruit, Vegetable and Egg Quality Control, Plant Quarantine and Pest Detection, Nursery and Seed Inspection, Pesticide Use Enforcement, Insect and Disease Pest Management, Weed and Vertebrate Management, Apiary Regulation, and Agricultural Education and Promotion.
- Plans, directs, coordinates, monitors and evaluates countywide weights and measures inspection and enforcement programs and staffing.
- Establishes division objectives and standards; monitors program regulatory compliance and effectiveness; formulates policies and procedures to ensure integrity of law and regulation enforcement in one or more major program or branch office; resolves complex inspection issues.
- Directs and advises Deputy Agricultural Commissioners on personnel, equipment and assigned programs to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Manages and supervises subordinate staff, including selection, assignment, evaluation and review, discipline and staff training and development.
- Participates in administrative hearings. May act as prosecutor/hearing officer for other counties. Works with District Attorney's office on complex enforcement issues.
- Acts on behalf of the Agricultural Commissioner as directed; serves as liaison and represents Agricultural Commissioner with public bodies, external agencies, committees, civic groups, industry and business groups, and professional organizations; provides operational information and coordinates enforcement activities with federal, state, and other local agencies.
- Develops, coordinates and directs agricultural educational, promotional and service events, projects and programs; prepares and conducts in-service and public education training programs.
- Prepares and/or monitors board reports, contractual agreements and memoranda of understanding; prepares oral and written program reviews, technical data reports, and correspondence.
- Develops, implements and monitors state work plans.